Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: Lunar Eclipse with Canon DSLR  (Read 68 times)

Offline Geoff_k

• Poster God
    • Geoff''s Astro Images - Astro-imaging with a webcam
Lunar Eclipse with Canon DSLR
« on: 10:09:44, 10 July, 2018 »
Sorry if this in the wrong place or has already been answered elsewhere but I thought I would have a stab at imaging the upcoming eclipse. I know its going to be quite low in the sky but I think I should be reasonably well-placed to see it from my location.

I have a tripod and remote and so on but I wasn't entirely sure of the best settings and would welcome any advice going.

I don't do much astro-imaging these days due to my arthritis but weather permitting I hope to be able to give this a go.

Many thanks.

Offline petevasey

• Poster God
  • Plover Hill Observatory
    • Peter's Astronomy Pages
Re: Lunar Eclipse with Canon DSLR
« Reply #1 on: 10:48:09, 10 July, 2018 »
Hi, Geoff,

You don't say what optics you will be using, but for decent detail you need a focal length of at least 400, preferably twice that.  For the September 2015 eclipse I used my Meade 127 refractor ( f7.5, 950 mm fl).  Camera settings for totality were ISO800, 10 seconds.  As you'll be tripod mounted, so won't be tracking, you'll need as 'fast' a system and as short an exposure as possible otherwise you will get trailing. But the nice thing about Lunar eclipses is that you generally have plenty of time to play with and change settings - basically 'suck it and see'  ;)

Best of luck.

Cheers,

Peter.
Telescopes: GSO RC10 Truss, Meade S5000 127, TMB 105, TS65 Quad, Solarscope SV50
Binoculars: Canon 15x50 IS
Camera lenses: Canon 400L f5.6, Canon 70-200L f4 zoom, various old M42 thread
Cameras: QSI 683wsg, SX AO, LodestarX2, Artemis285, Canon 350D (modded), Canon 700D, GPCAM2 (colour), GPCAM2 (mono), LE Vesta Pro, Toucam.
Mounts:  Gemini G41 with Pulsar controller. EQ6 Pro, EQ3-2 with Autostar. Star Adventurer
Observatory: 8' Astronomydome

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook