Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: Is this going to be the last time I am able to ask another 'naive question'  (Read 123 times)

Offline Annie

• Poster God
last night did was first light after my move to mains power and CCd imaging.  Some RGB of NGC6888.  Stacked each channel in DSS and converted each to 16 bit tifs, grayscale.  Opened each image in photoshop, opened channels to find 'merge channels grayed out - what have I missed?

Annie
Pulsar Observatory; NEQ6/EQ6 wedge; HEQ5 Pro; TS Star 71 Astrograph; Takahashi FSQ 106ed; Skymax 150 Pro; Nikon D600; Canon 550D modified; Canon 5D Mk11; ZWO ASI120 MM-S; Lacerta MGEN stand alone guider.

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
Annie

At a guess, though DSS has saved them as greyscale, they are still RGB files. Must be a way in Photoshop to force them to be true mono images (I dont use it so hopefully someone will be along to respond)

Chris

ps Naive questions work just as well on Facebook. Its just another platform to host UKAI on, the 'expertise' and sense of humour won't be zuckerberged as a result!
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Annie

• Poster God
Thanks Chris - I do use Facebook so will see you there.

Annie.
Pulsar Observatory; NEQ6/EQ6 wedge; HEQ5 Pro; TS Star 71 Astrograph; Takahashi FSQ 106ed; Skymax 150 Pro; Nikon D600; Canon 550D modified; Canon 5D Mk11; ZWO ASI120 MM-S; Lacerta MGEN stand alone guider.

Offline Annie

• Poster God
Problem solved when I opened channels through 'Window' but no idea why!  Merged but resulting image suggests the images aren't aligned?

Annie

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
Annie

the images won't be aligned as they all have different references. You can try moving them in FB OR just put the three images into DSS and tick the box (somewhere) to output aligned images.

Chris
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Annie

• Poster God
Thanks Chris.  Will try using DSS.

Annie

Offline Annie

• Poster God
Well -  have now combined the three RGB channels in DSS to produce one grayscale image which is aligned, opened this image in ps as a 16bit tif grayscale and assumed I needed to split the channels and recombine them in channels to convert to colour to find the 'split channels' greyed out.  Being this dim over a basic process can drive a person  mad!

Annie

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
Annie

You are not trying to combine them, merely use DSS to align them. You want to throw the end result away but you can get DSS to save out aligned images as it does its magic.

Chris
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Darkstarshado

Annie, load the 3 frames into dss and then go to settings, stacking settings and click the Intermediate files tab, then put a check in the box ''Create a registered/calibrated file for each frame.'  You can change where those will be saved by changing the Temporary files location, below.  Those 3 new frames will be registered versions of your R, G and B channels.
Paramount ME, Orion Optics(UK) VX14, Skywatcher150p, Skywatcher ED100. Canon 450D,350D, Atik One 6.0, Lodestar X2, QHY5LII, DMK21, Roll-off obs.

Offline Darkstarshado

The usual way to stack RGB frames in DSS is to first stack (say) all of your green frames.  Note which frame was chosen as the reference frame.  Then start again and load all of your blue frames but also load the green frame you noted above. Right-click that green frame and make it the reference frame but uncheck the frame in the list, so the image is not acutally stacked but used merely as the master reference frame.  Repeat for the red frames.  When you do it this way, the normal dss final output images will alll be aligned with that green reference frame.  No need to use the intermediate frames checkbox in this scenario.
Paramount ME, Orion Optics(UK) VX14, Skywatcher150p, Skywatcher ED100. Canon 450D,350D, Atik One 6.0, Lodestar X2, QHY5LII, DMK21, Roll-off obs.

Offline Carole

• Poster God
    • Carole Pope Astro-Imaging
Annie, you need to stack each channel separately in DSS but also ask DSS to register them to one of the channels.  I have never used this registering method as I use Registar to register the different channels to each other, but I know this can be done with the later versions of DSS.  If you don't do this you'll find the various stacks don't always align properly with each other.

One you have separate R, G & B stacked images all of which will be mono, you need to take them into photoshop. 
Make a duplicate of one of the images and then go into Image adjust/Mode and convert that duplicate to RGB.

Then open the channels tab and then paste Red stack into the Red channel, Green stack into the Green Channel, and Black stack into the blue channel.

Click on the top of channels to activate all the channels and hey presto you will have an RGB Image.

Also see Anna Morris's tutorial (of Annie's actions fame):
https://www.eprisephoto.com/videofiles/h1b3af346#h1b3af346

Hmm, sadly the tutorial doesn't seem to be working properly. 

Carole
Mount: HEQ5,  Telescopes: SW ED120 Pro and SW Evostar ED80 pro, WO ZS71 APO,  SW130PDS
Cameras: Modified Canon EOS 1100D, Atik 460EX, Atik314, DMK21, DBK21, Dual rig options. Observatory: SkyPOD & PZT
https://sites.google.com/site/caroleastroimaging/home

Offline Annie

• Poster God
Many thanks Chris, Darkshadow and Carole - that all makes sense.

Pleased that my move over to mains power using  Nevada Bench Power supply has worked seamlessly and have at least managed to take some RGB data ( about 4hours of 600sec exp) of NGC 6888 with my CCD set up. Hopefully will shortly be able to process the data and later add some lum.  I've read somewhere that Ha is good on this target to use for lum ?

Thanks again

Annie

Offline Carole

• Poster God
    • Carole Pope Astro-Imaging
Have E mailed you Annie.

Carole
Mount: HEQ5,  Telescopes: SW ED120 Pro and SW Evostar ED80 pro, WO ZS71 APO,  SW130PDS
Cameras: Modified Canon EOS 1100D, Atik 460EX, Atik314, DMK21, DBK21, Dual rig options. Observatory: SkyPOD & PZT
https://sites.google.com/site/caroleastroimaging/home

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook